Friday, April 4, 2014

Sweet Quinoa Breakfast Bowls - Four Days, Four Recipes

Hi Everyone!

This week I was anxious to try something new for breakfast. I (unfortunately) am the type of person that gets tired of eating the same thing everyday, and find myself having to switch things up quite often. This week was no exception...

I noticed an abundance of quinoa in our cabinets and knew I wanted to utilize this in some way for dinner. I was searching for quinoa inspiration on Food52 (if you haven't checked out this website, you must drop everything and do that right now --you're welcome and I'm sorry at the same time, because you are about to spend the next two hours pinning all of their recipes...), and came across a recipe for Toasted Almond + Coconut Quinoa Porridge. And I thought --Quinoa, for breakfast? Best. Idea. Ever.

Below I listed the recipe for the base of my Quinoa Breakfast Bowl, adapted from the Food52 recipe. An awesome aspect of the quinoa base is it's versatility - you can add any flavors/fruits/toppings you like! I like variety - so I chose to make four different recipes, which I have also listed below (and featured on my Instagram, @coconutsandchocolate). 

Sweet Quinoa Breakfast Bowl


1 c of quinoa
1 can of coconut milk (full fat or light)
2/3 c of water
Splash of vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
2 tbsp pure maple syrup (I'm sure honey would work as well, for non-vegans)

Bring all ingredients to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and let simmer for 15-2o minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed. Let cool for 10 minutes, fluff with a fork, and portion into 4 heat-safe bowls (I used glass). Place in the refrigerator until ready to eat! 

Four Days, Four Recipes


Day 1 - Mango Rice Pudding

1 bowl of quinoa base
1/2 c of fresh or frozen mango (I was 3/4 fresh mango)
1-2 tbsp golden raisins
Sprinkle of slivered almonds
1/4 c coconut milk (or milk of choice)

Place mango, quinoa, and coconut milk into the microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes (or until warm). Stir and top with raisins and slivered almonds. 


Day 2 - Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

(inspired by National Peanut Butter + Jelly Day!)

1 bowl of quinoa base
1/2 - 1 sliced banana
3 tbsp raspberry chia seed jam (recipe in previous post)
2 tbsp of natural peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
Sprinkled banana chips (optional, but provide great crunch)
1/4 c coconut milk (or milk of choice)

Place coconut milk and quinoa in microwave for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. Top with jam, peanut butter, banana, and banana chips.


Day 3 - Blueberries and Cream

1 bowl of quinoa base
3/4 scoop of Acai powder (if you don't have this, don't worry)
1/2 c fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)
1/2 tbsp of chia seeds
Sprinkle of shredded coconut
1/4 c coconut milk (use less if using frozen blueberries)

Place quinoa bowl, acai powder, blueberries, and milk into the microwave for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. Top with chia seeds and shredded coconut. 


Day 4 - Banana Bread

1 bowl of quinoa base
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1 banana (sliced 1/2 pre-microwave, 1/2 post-microwave)
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
Drizzle of pure maple syrup (I'm sure honey would work as well)
1/4 c of coconut milk (or milk of choice)

Place quinoa bowl, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 sliced banana into microwave for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. Top with walnuts and maple syrup. 



Have a great weekend, everyone! :)

Tyler
@coconutsandchocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment